The day belonged to David DeJulius

By Bill Koch

UC guard David DeJulius started the game with a 3-pointer. By the time he was finished he had amassed a career high of 30 points and was basking in the glow of a standing ovation that he so richly deserved from the fans at Fifth Third Arena on Sunday after the Bearcats posted a 97-74 victory over SMU on Senior Day.

The win not only provided DeJulius with a fitting vehicle for saying goodbye to the home fans, but allowed the Bearcats to finish with a 20-11 regular-season record, giving them their first 20-win season since they went 20-10 during the first of John Brannen’s two years as head coach in 2019-20.

But the day belonged to DeJulius, the transfer from Michigan who chipped in with six assists to go with his 11-of-18 shooting, including 2-of-4 from 3-point range.

When head coach Wes Miller removed him from the game after he hit the 30-point mark, DeJulius fell to his knees and kissed the Fifth Third Arena floor.

“Cincinnati embraces me each and every day,” DeJulius told reporters after the game. “I wake up with such a joy and gratitude to be here that I’m just overflowing with the fact that I need to pay back because the city has given me so much, in Fifth Third Arena, or if I’m downtown getting something to eat. I just fell in love and I’m not entitled to that love, but they give me that.”

I always enjoyed Senior Day when I was covering UC for all those years. I appreciated seeing the way the fans reacted to their favorite players and I recalled all of my experiences with those players over the years. I’m retired now and have never talked to DeJulius, but I’ve enjoyed watching him play, so it was cool to witness his moment today in person.

The Bearcats aren’t finished with their season. As the No. 4 seed in the AAC Tournament, they’ll play Friday against No. 5 seed Temple at 3 p.m. in Ft. Worth, Texas. UC split its two games against the Owls during the regular season.

If they don’t win the AAC Tournament, the Bearcats are a good bet to be invited to the National Invitation Tournament. In one NIT bracket projection that I saw, they were listed as a No. 5 seed in the 32-team tournament.

Comments