Humanitarian Bowl was the start of big things for UC football

UC will honor the Bearcats’ 1997 Humanitarian Bowl team at today’s game against Navy. This is from a story I wrote in 2017 for GoBearcats.com. The bowl game statistics have been updated.

By Bill Koch

Twenty years after the University of Cincinnati defeated Boise State in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl, former UC linebacker Brad Jackson still loves to talk about what became a landmark achievement for the Bearcats' football program.

UC had been to bowl games before, but not since 1950, so for the Bearcats it was a new experience. They made the most of it by defeating Utah State, 35-19, the first step in the rebirth of a program that has played in back for a program that has played in 18 bowl games since then, including the Orange Bowl at the end of the 2008 season, the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 2009 season, and last year’s appearance in the College Football Playoff, making them the first team ever to qualify from a so-called non-power conference.

"You couldn't tell Bearcat fans and you couldn't tell us that it wasn't the Orange Bowl or a BCS Bowl," Jackson said. "It had that feel for us and especially our class. To be able to break that long streak of not going to a bowl….I've won a Super Bowl, but to me, that's one of the greatest achievements, because that's something that we talked about doing."

J After he left UC, Jackson was selected in the third round of the NFL draft by the Miami Dolphins. He was cut by the Dolphins in August of that year, then signed with the Baltimore Ravens in December. He played with them for three seasons in 1999, 2000 and 2001 and was part of their 2001 Super Bowl-winning team. He also played one season with the Carolina Panthers in 2002.

Jackson was recruited by former UC coach Tim Murphy with the understanding that he would play football primarily, but would also be allowed to play basketball when the football season was over. When Murphy left for Harvard after leading the Bearcats to an 8-3 season in 1993, he was replaced by Rick Minter, who wasn't keen on Jackson playing basketball.

Finally, when his senior year arrived, Jackson got his chance. The basketball team, which at the time was the target of an NCAA investigation that resulted in two years' probation and the loss of three scholarships, was short-handed because of suspensions that were handed down in connection with the investigation.

According to Jackson, Minter still didn't want him and football teammate Brent Petrus to play basketball while they prepared for the bowl game. But he relented after a meeting with athletic director Bob Goin and basketball coach Bob Huggins. The 6-foot-2 Jackson played in 11 games that season, averaging 8.2 minutes. He scored 10 points with 10 rebounds and six steals.

Jackson remembers the hectic few days just before the Humanitarian Bowl when, despite spending so much time with the basketball team, he intercepted two passes against Utah State.

"I was flying back and forth across the country playing basketball," Jackson said. "I flew out with the (football) team the day we left Cincinnati. I did Media Day, practiced one day, jumped on a jet, and flew to Cleveland for the Rock-N-Roll Shootout (on Dec. 27). Then I flew back to Boise with the cheerleaders the next day. The day after that (Dec. 29) was game day.

"They thought that Utah State was going to come in there and they were supposed to smoke us. We showed them that our defense was up to the challenge. I had two interceptions and forced a fumble. I filled up the stat sheet. It was all well worth it to end your college career on that high note. The best (basketball) memory, no question, is the Rock-N- Roll Shootout."

The shorthanded Bearcats trailed UMass by six points in that game with 2:59 remaining at Gund Arena in downtown Cleveland.

"I remember going in the huddle and we were looking around," Jackson said. "Half of our team was suspended and not even there. Half of us were undersized for college basketball and I just remember coach Huggs getting on us about fighting and that's not who we are. We don't walk away.

"And I said, 'I didn't come here to lose' because I had flown all the way from Boise, Idaho. I thought the plane was going to crash. We hit terrific turbulence when we were trying to land in a snowstorm. I got off the plane and they hustled me right over to the arena. I ran into the locker room and my basketball teammates greeted me. They couldn't believe that I actually made it back. I landed 45 minutes before the game. I remember I hadn't eaten. So, I'm scarfing down like three hot dogs in the locker room. That was my pre-game meal."

Jackson played 13 minutes in that game with his belly full of hot dogs. He didn't score, but Petrus, his football teammate, played 34 minutes and scored six points with five rebounds. UC won in overtime, 74-66.

"Then I went back to the bowl game," Jackson said. "I knocked down a receiver that ran a crossing route and I shot (an imaginary) jump shot to let my hoop buddies know I was thinking about them."

Jackson cherishes his time at UC, especially the final week of 1997 when he was one extremely busy young man.

"It was a magical time for me," he said. "That's why I still love being a Bearcat, because of the opportunity afforded to me by coach Huggins."

Comments